Sunday, June 14, 2009

Irish Brew


So, it has been one week back in the States...one week back to work...one week since my last Guinness. What is one to do? Browse through pics, reminisce with my hubby, or sneak to an Irish bar and try to find a pint?
Ireland held so many surprises. I was expecting the beautiful landscape. I knew there would be quiant villages, and I was looking forward to the burgeoning Irish cuisine. But one thing that was a pleasant (and by pleasant, I mean tipsy) surprise was the national brew, the Irish black gold...Guinness.
Let's be honest, one look at the creamy foam and silky black syrup, taking a sip is a must. But, the first time I tried the brew in the States, it was a bit...bitter. However, when we were in Ireland, I knew I had to give it a second chance. And oh how wrong I had been!!!
Here's how it unfolded.
Bo and I walk into a bar. It isn't just any bar. It is what one would imagine an Irish country side pub would look like. The server's outfit is pressed. He is wearing a vest and handles the glassware and spirits with respect. It has been a long day of tourist trouncing for us, and we were a tad exhausted. We place elbows on the wooden counter and the server asks our pleasure. "Two pints of Guinness," Bo says. I look at him, questioning his choice. We waited 15 minutes (this is proper pouring technique, 3/4 full, let it settle, and then finish the job). Finally the stout took its place in our waiting hands. A sip, a gulp. And a foamed stained smile crept on my face. Pure heaven!! Two Guinnesses a day for seven days and three pounds later, I have decided Ireland will be the only place I endulge.
Ireland...go, drink, and be merry. Cheers!

2 comments:

J Gutwein said...

I could not agree more. I was in love with the stuff while there, but have let that love go while back here in the States. The only thing I would add is that watching the horse-races (via television works) while sipping adds to the whole experience :). By the way The Village Bistro here in Haile has Guinness on tap which is probably as close as we are going to get for some time... come enjoy a glass with us sometime. Love, J

Shelby Neichoy said...

That sounds like so much fun. We need to make a date!