Friday, March 11, 2011

Italian Hamburgers

I am trying to branch out a little as far as my cooking goes.  I am a bit embarrassed to admit it...and I am assuming the people who read my blog are my non-judging friends, but...I FOLLOW RECIPES!!!  Oh the shame, the horror!  As much as I like to think of myself as a creative force in not only the kitchen but life in general, I sometimes find it hard to stray outside of the lines when it comes to cooking.  Now, don't get me wrong, you must closely follow BAKING recipes.  However, when it comes to cooking, one must be gently pushed out of the recipe nest and make their own mark on dishes.  What can I say?  I have always been a late bloomer.
Let me get to my point...this weekend, I tried to create a Shelby-ized burger recipe.  I found inspiration from a picture in my Bon Appetit magazine (March 2011) and then researched a bit on the web for things I thought would compliment my thoughts.  I found recipes from Food Network, Ina Garten and Bobby Flay.  After all this, I came up with a delicious (at least in my opinion) Italian Hamburger.  There are several steps and different recipes, but all are very easy and quick. 

Hamburger patti, patty, pattie
1 lb ground chuck (my butcher said it is a sin to use anything leaner)
Worcester sauce to taste
1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Season the meat with all the remaining ingredients. Gently mix (fluff) with fork.  (When working with ground meat, it is very important to not over mix, which can make it tough.)  Divide meat into four portions.  Gently form the meat into patties and make a thumbprint in the middle of each.  (This helps the meat to keep its shape while cooking.  If you didn't do this, the middle of the burger ends up much thicker than the outside).  Grill the burgers to desired doneness.  For the best texture and taste, I recommend medium, which will be pink in the center.

Parmesan Chips
1 C shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tsp flour

Mix cheese and flour in bowl.  Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Add a 1/4 C of cheese mixture to skillet and let cook until light brown on bottom.  With a spatula, flip cheese and cook on other side for 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Transfer to plate to cool.

Roasted Tomatoes (from Ina Garten)
6 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, cores and seeds removed

2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 large garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoons kosher salt
1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Arrange the tomatoes on a sheet pan, cut sides up, in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle the garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper over the tomatoes. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until the tomatoes are concentrated and beginning to caramelize. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Fra Diavolo Ketchup (adapted from recipe of Bobby Flay)
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 tsp red chile flakes
3/4 C ketchup
2 tsp finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

To make the ketchup, heat the oil in a small nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and chile flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add the ketchup and oregano and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar and basil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Basil Mayonnaise (adapted from Ina Garten)
1 C mayonnaise

10 to 15 basil leaves, chopped
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp good olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic

Whisk together the mayonnaise, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic.


ASSEMBLY OF BURGER!!!! 
Now for the moment of truth:
Take hamburger bun (I used a very soft one with no sesame seeds) and spread Fra Diavolo sauce on top bun and Basil Mayo on bottom bun.  Place hamburger pattie on bottom bun, Parmesan crisp on top of that, then roasted tomato, and top with arugula.  Put top bun on...and EAT!!!!!!!  So delish!

1 comment:

J Gutwein said...

Oh My Word Shelby.. This looks so good and so hard ;)... Love, Jenny