Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Shands Rehab Chili Cookoff 2011 Champion!!

I talk a lot of smack.  I admit it.  I am from Texas, and I AM PROUD!!  We have the best people, the best landscape and by FAR the best damn food.  While some other southerners (no specifics will be given) claim their chili to be the best, I stood my ground and challenged my co-workers to a cook-off. 
The night before the cook-off, I actually started getting butterflies.  I knew I had a Texas reputation to keep.  I struggled with the decision whether to make my mom's chili, which I have savored my whole life, or go with an award winning recipe from Terlingua World Chili Cook-off.  After cooking both recipes, I ended up combining the two 3 to 1, Mom's to Terlingua.  The stakes were high...bragging rights for me or a day I would never live down.  When the winner was announced, and I heard my chili being called out...my heart swelled with pure Texas Pride!!! 
I will post both recipes.  If you are going to cook just one, I would definitely go with Mom's.

Mom's Chili
2 lbs lean ground beef
1 large onion
Chili powder (A freaking lot.  Like more than you think is natural.)
Cumin
Paprika
Cayenne pepper
Garlic salt
Salt and pepper
Tomato juice (I use Campbell's 64 oz)

Dice onion. Put onion and ground beef in skillet. Add some salt, pepper, garlic salt and a little cinnamon (even though this is not in the ingredient list, Lebanese cooking always calls for a dash of cinnamon with beef.) Cook until meat is done. Drain on paper towels if necessary. Add chilli powder. Pour tomato juice over meat mixture. It will seem very juicy, but the tomato juice will reduce and get thicker. After it has cooked about 30 minutes re-season to taste. Add remaining spices to taste. Simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Freezes very well.

Terlingua Chili from Margaret Nadeau 2005
Step 1
2 lbs. course ground beef (chili grind)
1 TBS Cooking Oil
1 TBS Granulated Onion
Add ingredients together and lightly brown meat
Step 2
Add:
1 Can (8 oz) Tomato Sauce
1 Can Beef Broth
Cook for 30 minutes

Step 3
Add:
1 TBS Light Chili Powder
2 TBS Dark Chili Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp Salt
½ TBS Ground Cumin
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
½ tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Chicken Granules (or 1 cube)
Cook for 1 hour
Step 4:
Add:
1 TBS Light Chili Powder
1 TBS Dark Chili Powder
1 tsp Paprika
½ TBS Ground Cumin
Add water if needed
Leave covered and simmer for 30 minutes

3 comments:

paigeh said...

So glad you're back. I've missed you! I'll be calling you soon...

Karen said...

congrats shelby! wish i was there to taste the winning chili...i'll definitely have to try your mom's recipe next time we make it. thanks for sharing.:)

shae said...

Oooooh...I didn't know you won..awesome! Btw, I am blogging again :)