Thursday, October 8, 2009

A passion for excellence

Life is short. Each day it seems shorter(hmmmm). In the evenings, when I am slouching my way to my red door, clumsily putting my key in the lock, and dragging my feet inside, I ask myself where the time has slipped away to. Is it watching TV on the couch...not there. Did it slither into my bed...nope. How about the kitchen...I don't see any time there. I can usually find it either in the musky halls of the J School on UF campus or the fluorescent lit units of Shands Hospital. I have a job, I am studying for a second grad degree, I have a house, two dogs, a cat and loving husband. These things always require my attention, and so I thought, up until today,that my life was pretty hectic. I have always said that there are so many things I would like to accomplish but often don't have the time or energy...and in walks Marta Montenegro. She is the CEO, publisher and editor-in-chief of SOBeFiT Magazine. Her publication has just won She is a beast. And I mean that in the most jaw-dropping, I am such a weakling in comparison, she is my hero way. Montenegro wakes up at 2:45 am, performs a quick assesment of her competition publications, runs, goes to the gym, goes to work, and goes to teach at FIU. Honestly, I get tired just typing what this woman does. Did I mention she was my hero?
I am writing this to say...take life by the horns (I am from Texas), accomplish what you want, and quit wasting time feeling like you have no time. I think Marta would agree.