Monday, November 30, 2009

There are stories that grab you attention, and then there are stories that grab your heart. I found a story that did just that. In two sentence: When baby Moses was born, his mother died from a rare amniotic fluid aneurysm. His mother's dream was to breast feed her baby, and that is when 20 neighborhood women stepped in and breast fed Moses.
This got me thinking about the benefits of breast feeding. My Jiddi (grandfather) always attributed his strength and health to being breast fed as a baby. Whether it was that, or the strong Lebanese genes, my family has always encouraged it.
Here is what I learned:
1. It is spelled breastfeeding.
2. A study showed that it may curb heart and diabetes risk factors.
3. Per an extremely sexy doctor I know, babies who are breastfed, are less likely to develop new born health issues.
4. A woman's risk for breast and ovarian cancer is reduced.
5. As selfish as this may seem, women who breastfeed burn as many calories as running two miles!! Whaa! That is about 200-500 calories, or as I like to look at it, two scoops of ice cream.

So, it looks as though, without the massive scientific research behind it, my Jiddi knew what he was talking about!

No comments: