Thursday, September 3, 2009

Go FISH!

Let's talk fishing. I have never read "The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing" by Melissa Bank, but I do know that fishing is under appreciated in the female world. All of us have those pictures, where we are around 7 or 8 years old and our dad's (typically wearing a Budweiser trucker cap and dip in his mouth) are holding up your first catfish catch. Then comes makeup and boys. Where does the outdoor passion go? The thrill of the fish hitting your line and the rush of fighting with your prey. I am on a mission to get girly girls to do more fishing. Let's be honest, it isn't the most challenging work out, but you are able to be out in nature (not in front of the TV watching the Food Network). An added bonus is that you can reap the rewards with dinner that night! That is my favorite part! So, get out and go FISH! Here is a fantastic and healthy recipe for your first catch. This is from BeachBody's P90X nutrition recipe book:

Mango-Ginger Sauce

1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Cup mango, peeled and cubed
1/2 Cup tomato, chopped
1-1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1/4 Cup fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp orange juice
2 Tbsp dry sherry
1-1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp white vinegar

Stir all ingredients together and chill. Serve over grilled or sauteed white fish.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Shelby,
I can relate to what you're talking about in your article. When I was younger, my dad would take my sister and I to "Take A Kid Fishing Day," and it was so much fun, but I haven't been fishing in years.

The fish recipe sounds delicious, by the way.
-Kathryn Stolarz