Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Vitamin D (as in "Dang it is good for you")

The other day at work, I was sitting at the nurses station doing some notes, and my coworker and I got into a conversation about vitamins. Of note, I have only recently begun taking vitamins, and at times (more often than not), I forget to pop one in my mouth before bed. Don't get me wrong, I think vitamins are great, but I have to be very particular about when and how I take my vitamins (secondary to instant nausea if taken without food on my stomach). Therefore, it sometimes seems like an inconvenience. Anyway, my coworker was telling me that she is a big believer in vitamin D supplementation. Apparently, many Americans are deficient in that particular vitamin. So after doing a little research on the topic, I ran across an interesting article about the benefits of vitamin D and some recipes to make it applicable.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipes/article/0,28747,1918441,00.html?xid=cnn-091509


Three Fruit Yogurt Shake

Makes 5 cups

2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt
1 cup fresh blueberries, frozen
1 cup fresh peach slices, frozen
1 (8-ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained and frozen

Process all ingredients in a blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Serve immediately

So raise your creamy, fruity filled goblets and toast to vitamins and all their goodness!

No comments: